The Wilden Marsh Blog

Archives

Sunrise: 04.46   Sunset: 09.33 Modern world technology first touched Wilden Marsh and Meadows in 1511, with the building of a water powered fulling mill by William Baylly on the River Stour, at Wilden Village. This was the first of 17 mills to be built here before the rise of the steam-age. In its heyday, there were more watermills (in excess of 100) on the banks of the 25 miles long River… Read More

An Act passed in 1662 authorised the Earl of Bristol, Lord Windsor and Thomas Smyth of London, to make the Stour navigable from the River Severn to the collieries around Stourbridge; opening up and developing sales outlets further south, in particular around Worcester and Gloucester. The original plan was to make the river navigable for craft of 6 tons, with 11 locks and two branch tram roads.  Engineer Andrew Yarranton (1619 –… Read More

%d bloggers like this: