GCN Pond

After a four-week rest, courtesy of Australian flu, I started clearing the Great Crested Newt Pond today, at the northern end of the Swamp. At the beginning of 2017, a small copse surrounding the GCN pond was removed. The water in the pond is now too nutrient-rich, so the time has come to remove the rotting vegetation and some of the bull rushes clogging this narrow strip of standing water.

I’ve cleared around a quarter of the pond and there’s probably two more days of bottom raking with a long-handled jumbo ditching fork to do.Β When I’ve finished this job, I’ll start clearing a section of the central drainage ditch for the water voles.

Welding the long-handled jumbo ditching fork, pitch fork and axe is very good for improving one’s core strength, and certainly makes a person aware that they have a back, arms and thighs; fortunately, I’m not suffering because my body is used to this type of eexercise. Working on the marsh for just two days a month can make a big difference to a persons health and wellbeing.

IMG_8098 16
The GCN Pond

IMG_3830 16

Tools for the job: pitchfork, long-handled jumbo ditching fork, and a forest axe to remove withies from tree stumps

Image | This entry was posted in Wilden Marsh Nature Reserve and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to GCN Pond

1. tootlepedal says:

I hope that your recovery sticks. I keep hearing horror stories of relapses and pneumonia.

2. Lots of flu all over the U.S.; we’ve been safe here… except for having an insane so-called president. πŸ™‚

3. Vicki says:

Looks like very hard work to me.

I’m sorry we sent you the Australian flu virus. Hope you’re feeling much better now. I didn’t know there was a particular strain which was grown here this year, but then I don’t mix with the public very much at all (if I can help it). I think 2004 was the last time I had the flu and was housebound from my job, but no one else in my office caught it and it was a real epidemic here with many hospitalised. I worked at a private boarding school at the time and 1100 (out of 1800) were sick at home.

• ramblingratz says:

It is easy to forget what a killer flu can be, even though you often feel like you are dying when you have it. The latest that I have read in the UK is that there is also a Japanese strain that wasn’t included in the vaccination and so many people are succumbing to that one, so I hope our Aussie friends aren’t feeling too bad πŸ™‚

Liked by 2 people

• Don’t feel bad for me, Vicki, life is too short.

I could go back to bed to hide away until it’s all over. One day I will meet my maker, but am I really better off taking to my bed, or sitting comfortably by the fire, or should I finish raking the GCN Pond? When I came into this world, it was with a death sentence printed boldly in capital letters back of my entry permit. I was issued with a combined entry/exit permit, if you like, and each day I am getting closer to using it. πŸ˜‰

• Vicki says:

You’re right Mike.

I hate being in bed myself, even if I can’t walk (due to pain or other symptoms), I’d rather be sitting watching the birds and nature or at least having the doors & window open to get fresh air. I used to love doing garden maintenance when I lived on the south side of the city and even when unwell, just being outdoors pottering in the garden made me feel ever so much better.

• Pottering about outside is healthy and can be very therapeutic, even when your garden is around 100 wild acres like mine. The exercise is very good for body and soul, helps keeps muscles in trim, and slows down bone density loss.It creates a feeling of happiness, too, and improves mood. What more can a person ask for? πŸ™‚

4. Sorry you were kept from your projects by the flu. I hope it felt good to be toiling out in the sun and that you don’t over do! πŸ™‚

• Ah it was wonderful, Ellen. My long handled jumbo ditch fork made short work of smashing through the thick ice covering the GCN Pond. It was good to be working on the marsh in the sun. I’ll be checking bird boxes with Mike Averill on Monday – life is good again!

Glad you are feeling better. I hope those critters appreciate all the work you do for them πŸ™‚

• Thanks Ratty. I fully expect any great crested newts watching me from the steep east bank of the pond, to be rubbing their paws together in anticipation of the fantastic times they will be having when I have finished cleaning their pond. πŸ™‚

6. Emily Scott says:

Could I ask for some quick advice on my small garden pond? It is full of algae. I tried to find some oxygenating plants at my local garden centre but they didn’t have any. Should I try something else? Want to make it as wildlife friendly as possible. It has no fish.

7. Sorry to hear you’ve had that dreadful flu, Mike, and hope you have a speedy recovery. I love to be outdoors too. i didn’t realise you were Welsh, same as me.