WILDEN MARSH NATURE RESERVE AND THE LAGOON FIELD

Walking through a sunny Falling Sands Nature Area this morning, I looked up at the new houses along the top of the high Lower Stour Valley bank thinking of the marvellous view some of the residents have of Wilden Marsh. I am thankful that the River Stour and Worcestershire and Staffordshire canal is acting as a barrier between the marsh and the housing and residential estates along the west bank. The site of the old sugar factory is now a new combined housing and residential estate in the final stages of completion.

We are now faced with the threat of the Lagoon Field being turned over to residential/industrial use. The thought is terrifying! It would be a huge mistake and very bad news for Wilden Marsh Nature Reserve and the south to north wildlife corridor it is part of. I am unable to come to terms with the fact that this development is even being considered as a viable option by the powers that control many of our lives.

Anyway, I shrugged off this depressing thought and considered the next positive step towards changing the minds of decision makers behind the Proposed Development of the Lagoon Field alongside Wilden Marsh Nature Reserve and Site of Special Scientific Interest.

I would like to know what people in general think about the Proposed Development of the Lagoon Field alongside Wilden Marsh Nature Reserve and Site of Special Scientific Interest, so I wonder if anyone interested in the plight of Wilden Marsh and the adjoining Lagoon Field are prepared to assist me by sharing this post and taking part in the straw poll below:

(Check the box next to the statement that you agree with, and press the vote button.)

PLEASE PRESS THE BUTTON AND SHARE THIS POST!

Thank you.

Mike Griffiths

Image | This entry was posted in Wilden Marsh Nature Reserve and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to A Straw Poll on the Proposed Development of the Lagoon Field alongside Wilden Marsh

1. gardenqueen says:

We had a battle like this in our area that went on for decades. Developers tried to get the land for housing for years. The people that wanted to leave the area wild finally won and the area was turned into parkland. It can be done!

2. jbcamera says:

As an ex-pat, I really have no say, but I applaud your efforts to resist this terrible idea!

3. Diane Davies says:

It is unbelievable that this is even being considered , the name Lagoon Field suggests its not the best of places to build and there are plenty of alternative sites in the area . I think someone somewhere is trying to make a fast buck. I also think the press will love to hear this story.

4. Murtagh's Meadow says:

Good luck with your campaign

5. Murtagh's Meadow says:

Reblogged this on Murtagh's Meadow and commented:
    Mike at Wilden Marsh blog is asking people to share his post about a proposed development that is likely to threaten Wilden Marsh. While this is a UK site, I think it reflects how many natural areas throughout the world are constantly being put under pressure by so called developments, be they for houses, industry or intensive agriculture etc.

6. Vicki says:

I am living in a new(ish) – 2013 – housing estate with the same issues, but fortunately there is a definite lean by councils and developers towards renewing Wetlands and restoration of some of the indigenous tree species and grasses.

I fully understand your concerns in Wilden Marsh and similar locations in the U.K.

There has to be a balance between new housing development for the growing population and sustainable landscaping to prevent erosion, dropping the water table and destroying the habitat of indigenous flora and fauna.

The water table in much of the coastal areas of Australia has changed due to the over-logging in the 1920s and 1930s.

7. Dave Allen says:

I think think it would be a disaster if the lagoon field was to become a housing or industrial estate. I too find it incredible that Wyre Forest District Council is considering it as a serious option. They might be including it in the proposed plan to show that it’s being considered. However, you never know!

I’m glad that you are raising the issue Mike and I agree with Bill Foxall, every one affected by the issue should create holy hell with anyone willing to listen.

I hope you will fight to the end on this issue Mike. I am certainly going to do all I can to help. I sincerely hope that everyone interested in nature will PUSH THE BUTTON AND SHARE YOUR POST. VOTE IN THE STRAW POLL IF YOU WANT TO SAVE WILDEN MARSH.

8. Susan.prendegast says:

I look down onto Wilden Marsh from my kitchen window and I applaud the directness of Bill Foxall and Dave Allen, so I am going to be direct too. I do not want the Lagoon Field to be turned from a beautiful wild wildlife area to a sterile industrial or housing estate. I think our Councillors are mad to consider it. I have a huge fear that people living around the marsh will sit on their fat bums and just let it happen without muttering a murmur. To sit in front of televisions and computer screens letting people rob our natural habitat from under our noses is a criminal dereliction of duty.

If you PUSH THE BUTTON AND SHARE THIS POST, you are at least be doing something positive to help Wilden Marsh nature reserve. It’s not a lot to ask and requires you to expend very little of your precious energy

9. Pingback: Proposed Development of the Lagoon Field alongside Wilden Marsh | The Wilden Marsh Blog

10. Simon says:

As a seasoned campaigner I know certain things about “I know best” politicians:

1. They don’t like being up against organised constituents.
    2. They hate being accused of riding a gravy train.
    3. They won’t want to do anything that puts their career at risk, unless they believe they can blame others when the proverbial hits the fan.
    4. Most take the easy road.
    5. Many bend and massage the truth.
    6. They hide as much negative information as possible.
    7. They stay well clear of being seen in a negative light.
    8. If the general public don’t complain about proposed developments, politicians assume no one cares and they are at liberty to do as they wish and might pass the proposed plan before you realise what has happened.

To put themselves in a positive light, politicians insist that the successful contractor provide some kind of local amenity free of charge, but we are actually paying for it.

So if you want the Lagoon Field to remain an area for nature, rattle your cages, shout, scream, ring your bells, toot your horns, write letters, send emails and do anything to persuade your Council to take an easier option.

I suspect there are more supporters and champions waiting in the closet to see if your campaign has legs, but it seem you have a few champions already.

Good luck!

Simon.

11. I voted for nature and I hope she wins. Best of luck!

I pushed the button and tweeted. I understand the need for affordable housing for people, but they always seem to choose the worse possible places to build, not to mention all of the empty luxury flats built in London for foreign investors. These small pockets of nature are vital for all of us, not just local folk. Has there been any discussion of a petition?

13. Brian Skeys says:

I cannot understand why we even consider these areas for development when there is so many brown field sites undeveloped. It’s money I guess. I have voted for nature.

• Thanks very much for your comment, Brian. It’s all about big business trying to realise the value of its land investments, as it has done very successfully with the old sugar factory site. Since large businesses don’t posses a social conscience, they manage their land assets accordingly. It is simply a question of adding value to cheap land. Sometimes, the people who are affected object and make a fuss. There is no doubt that our area needs more residential and industrial space, just don’t use land right next to Wilden Marsh Nature Reserve and Site of Special Scientific Interest. This kind of behaviour is unacceptable in the day and age.

14. debi says:

Would someone buy it like the NT or could the people of Stourport buy it.

• Thanks for your comment, Debi. I think the Lagoon Field would do best in the hands of Worcestershire Wildlife Trust and as part of Wilden Marsh Nature Reserve. The monetary value of the Lagoon Field, I suspect, is very low at the moment, but with planning permission it would be happy days for the owner and worth a great deal of money with houses or industrial units built on it. I think the owner should gift the Lagoon Field to Worcestershire Wildlife Trust. I and the marsh cattle will be happy to look after it.

15. Pingback: Further Important Information Relating To The Proposed Lagoon Field Planning Application. | The Wilden Marsh Blog

16. Pingback: What I Know about the Lagoon Field adjacent to Wilden Marsh Nature Reserve and SSSI | The Wilden Marsh Blog

17. Pingback: Straw Poll Result | The Wilden Marsh Blog

18. Helen Ramsay says:

Hi folks, please don’t forget to also comment on the WFDC consultation at http://wyreforestdc-consult.limehouse.co.uk/portal. You can also download a response form here http://www.wyreforestdc.gov.uk/planning-and-buildings/planning-policy/local-plan-review.aspx or come along to one of the upcoming drop in sessions. The next one is at The Wyre Room, St George’s Hall, Load Street, Bewdley tomorrow, Wednesday 19 July 2017 from 2:00pm – 7:00pm