Dead Heron (5 images)

I spent this morning photographing and filming herons and their chicks on the nests, from the river bank.

Mervin turned late morning; he was attempting to count the herons and their nests – for the record, I reckon there are 10 or 12 nests and maybe more. We had a chat and he left for Stour Hill, so that he could get a better look down onto the heronry.

10 minutes after Mervin left, I saw two men trespassing on the Island, close to the heronry. I shouted and they quickly disappeared the way they came, I managed to get a photograph of them, though, but its not as clear as I would like; however, it is good enough to enable me to recognise the men if I see them on marsh again.

I moved to a better position behind the river bank fence, 10 metres away, and there in front of me, prone on the ground, was a very sad sight; a dead heron.

The heron was and unmarked, apart from what looks like a air gun pellet wound to the left of its eye (See the third image).

I have no idea if the men I photographed had anything to do with the death of this majestic bird.

IMG_4217 (2) 3 - Copy

IMG_4210 (2) 2 - Copy

IMG_4212 (3) 2 - Copy

IMG_4216 (2) 2

IMG_4208 (2) 2

Image | This entry was posted in Wilden Marsh Nature Reserve and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Dead Heron (5 images)

1. neihtn2012 says:

Terrible and sad!

• Indeed it is! It looks like we have spent a lot of money improving the island for the herons and other fauna and flora, but what we have made is a shooting ground for the local airgun enthusiasts.

2. Julie Gomez says:

Sad and cruel. I hope whoever is doing this is caught soon.

3. avian101 says:

Cruel people, it’s sad, very sad! 😦

4. tootlepedal says:

A very sad sight and disheartening too.

• Yes Tom. It is very sad, but so are a lot of things that happen in our world. I suspect that there are very many more people who feel sad at herons being killed than there are those who revel in it.

Maybe the north marsh fox will take the heron home for recycling; you can be sure the carcass will not be wasted.

I will be on my way to the marsh shortly, and I will check to see if the carcass has been collected.

If I had my wits about me yesterday, I would have left a camera trap there. The results might have been worth posting.

How awful! I cannot understand such people. Do you think they are the same people you saw off before? Is it worth reporting it to the police? Someone was shooting magpies and pigeons in our garden a couple of years ago, we reported it and the police leafletted the area. Since then we have had no problems.

6. Emily Scott says:

Why do people do this? Is it just for fun, they are not planning on eating the herons but just like shooting at defenceless targets? Disgusting.

7. Oh noooo! How can people behave this way?!? It’s just sickening 😦 Have you taken the image evidence to the RSPB and the police? Perhaps a few camera traps could be placed in order to deter or catch out the villains?