Life Goes On.

After a Christmas Day lounging about at home, eating and drinking too much, and socialising, I spent time coppicing willows along the river bank again today. The rain held off, but the water level rose all the time I was there. The flow from the marsh into the river increased steadily, too. It was a good workout that blew the cobwebs away.

Surprisingly, the cattle didn’t react to the sound of my axe; they weren’t more than a hundred yards away. I could see them and they looked over to me now and again, but they show any interested in dining on willow today.

It’s a Marsher’s workday tomorrow, with fallen trees to be removed and make safe mid marsh.

Here are a few photographs I took with phone camera today.

File 26-12-2015 5 15 42 pm (2)

Looking Downstream of the River Stour.

File 26-12-2015 5 16 40 pm

A Large, Tall, and Sprawling Willow Tamed.

File 26-12-2015 5 18 48 pm

River Stour to the left of the image.

This entry was posted in Wilden Marsh Nature Reserve. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Life Goes On.

1. tootlepedal says:

That should have worked any Christmas pud out of the system.

• Well, it’s a start. It takes one and a half hours of vigorous running to burn off the calories in a Mars bar.

• tootlepedal says:

If you do the running every day, your metabolism works so well that you can eat like a horse and stay slim.

• If you run every day, your body adjusts to the exertion, uses less energy per mile as the body gets fitter, so you find yourself having to run further and further to burn the same amount of calories. Obviously, if you run all day, you don’t have time to eat properly, so you lose weight.

Like the miner shovelling coal. He ends up as thin as a rake because he doesn’t increase his calorie intake, because he is too busy shovelling coal.

Also, if you cycle long enough to use 6500 calories, and your intake is only 4500 calories you will lose weight.

There are a lot of calories in a horse. Take a guess at how many calories a horse contains.

• tootlepedal says:

My mind boggles regarding the horse.

I am not sure if you are right about the running. In my running days, I never had any problem with keeping my weight down.

• Well, losing weight is all about expending more calories than you take in.

I think a horse equates to 750 calories per pound, if you are planing to eat one.

On the whole, people tend to move around less as they get older, and the metabolism slows down.

The answer is eat less and work harder. Follow this line, and losing weight will be easier. 😉

• tootlepedal says:

I agree with that last remark entirely. It is the only secret of weight loss.

2. nexi says:

… food for thought about the Mars bar…!

3. I have heard on the news about the bad flooding in the UK. so I hope you aren’t too bad where you are.

It looks beautifully wintry. Always work to be done, no matter what the time of year.