Heineken Necklace.

Sunrise: 06.34    Sunset: 07.49

A few years ago I posted about a mink sporting a Heineken necklace.

I passed the place last week and wondered if the mink had managed to free itself of the beer can necklace. As usual my eyes scanned the area and lying in the Y of the same tree trunk was a mink. I doubt it was the same one I saw in 2011, but it might be a relative.

This entry was posted in Wilden Marsh Nature Reserve. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Heineken Necklace.

People and their plastic litter …. The mink is a beautiful animal, but presumably not a welcome sight?

2. Emily Scott says:

Oh poor thing. Will the necklace be affecting its health? Presumably increases the risk of it getting caught somewhere and unable to wriggle free.

3. Elisa says:

I had one of these get its front paws onto my lap while I was praying with my eyes shut at the river. I am so glad that I stayed still and calm so that it didn’t fling itself at my face!

How on earth did you manage to do that, Elisa. Whenever I try to get mink to do anything for me, they take no notice at all.

Why do you need mink front paws on you lap whe praying? What is the significance? Is it a meditation thing?;)

4. Alex Jones says:

Another reason why packaging needs to be reduced. Sad to see this happening.

5. zannyro says:

I spent the last bit of the afternoon on Saturday picking up the winter debris that people throw from their car windows all winter. We live in such a beautiful area and I can’t understand why people are so blind to the beauty and don’t make the tiniest effort to avoid “trashing” it. I was especially unhappy to find a beer can “necklace” right on the path where the deer walk.
    I found whiskey bottles, sandwich bags, insulation used in housing, drink straws, chewing tobacco cans, rum bottles, etc…It would break my heart to see something like the mink with the necklace on. Hopefully the one that you saw wiggled out of it somehow.

I know what you mean, Suzanne. It’s a terrible thing that people throw their rubbish wherever they please. The best we can do is pick it up and dispose of it properly, and I applaud you for doing so.

6. It is so sad that the wildlife get so caught up in our litter, Great capture though

7. suda says:

Let’s hope, it’s the same one… Terrible thought having a little animal running around with such a necklace for so long (- oh, and even if it were for half a day!) :-/

The American mink is well known for its ability to squeeze in and out of tight places. I suspect that the mink in my photograph had just picked up the necklace, and the can hole is much larger than its head.

I don’t think we need to sympathise too much with the mink, it is a very capable survivor.

• suda says:

Wooo, now that’s quite an information! I didn’t know that… Thnax for “enlightening” me. I guess, I might sometimes tend to feel sorry for animals a bit too quickly… BIn any case it remains a shame these anmials have to live with our waste – even and maybe especially in lovley spots like Wilden Marsh… Have a great spring evening, Mike!

Thank you, Suda. Rubbish is always a problem, especially when there is a river and a canal to throw it in.

8. tootlepedal says:

Do the minks damage your river and canal banks?

I don’t think mink damage the river and canal banks, Tom. Mink are skilful and voracious killers. They are solitary animals that are not often seen, and it is difficult to know how many are about. Trapping usual captures more mink than expected. I think our rivers and streams would be better off without mink predating them.

Whilst I don’t sees many mink, I see a lot of their paw prints in the mud.