Do nettles sting snails?

Sunrise: 07.02  Sunset: 06.58

IMG_711924TH SEPTEMBER 2013a

This entry was posted in Wilden Marsh Nature Reserve, Wildlife Photography and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Do nettles sting snails?

1. Al says:

I’m guessing not. Their slime probably stops it

2. Renard Moreau says:

[ Smiles ] Apparently, not!.

Great photo!

3. Alex Jones says:

I don’t know but nettles stung me today, and a wasp stung me in the face too.

4. I can eat raw nettles, without them stinging me. It is a foragers trick!

Well, there’s a few foragers tricks with Nettle, here’s some Snail Wisdom! One, stay away from the stingers on the bottom side of the leaf, topside lays down easier. Two, enough steady pressure deactivates hairs. Three, once hairs are touched and de-activated, they’re fine to eat, even raw! Four, a snail has logistics that fall within these parameters to get from leaf to leaf, as the picture demonstrates.

We Professional Foragers love to shock classes of students by eating raw nettles in front of them. This snail wisdom applies to us too, we get an ooh and ahhh’s from the class, but what folks aren’t really paying attention to is we’re folding the leaf over and applying a light pressure, the leaf goes into my mouth with hairs deactivated and then chewed very well. 🙂

I always feel a little funny after sharing snail secrets, like somehow, I just violated some code of silence.

Thanks for this interesting post. Snail mucus neutralises histamine and other irritating chemicals present in the nettle sting formula, and is very good for ironing out facial wrinkles. A woman’s morning ritual should include rubbing a snail over her face. 🙂

5. Vicki (from Victoria A Photography) says:

Great photo.

6. Roberto Aloi says:

No clue what a “nettles” is but great photo!

7. Not long ago, i walked through groves of nettles with shorts on. It hurt enough, but i was fine. It takes more than nettles to keep me out of the woods! 😉