Peacock Butterfly.

Sunrise: 05.43 am Β  Sunset: 09.09 pm

I stretched to my limit over a thick bramble bush to get this image. Moving closer and closer, hoping it wouldn’t fly away, the peacock slowly filled my viewfinder. I resisted the temptation to act before I was ready. This would be a one shot opportunity, I knew that! My flash would surely send the butterfly into the air. I struggled to keep my balance, and the camera steady. Holding my breath, the auto-focus beeped, I pressed the button, saw the flash, and promptly collapsed into the bramble bush.

Was the image worth the effort? Well, I achieved what I had set out to do, I was not able to alter camera settings, and it was an extreme shot. Under better circumstances, I could have done better! Another second and I would have shaken too much to get an auto-focus lock, and I would still have fallen into the brambles, a failure! Ha-ha!

IMG_317431 STJULY 2013

This entry was posted in Wilden Marsh Nature Reserve and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Peacock Butterfly.

1. anthonyvenable110 says:

Reblogged this on anthonyvenable110.

2. Oh the times I’ve ended up on my backside or in a bush because I’ve overreached! There were so many peacocks out at Wisley yesterday I was surrounded by them whilst standing in the flower bed by the buddleja. I haven’t seen so many all together for years! Wonderful sight πŸ™‚ Do you use an external flash and diffuser?

3. mike585 says:

Ah, but did you end-up on your backside having captured the image. πŸ˜‰
    I use my camera’s pop-up flash most of the time.

4. taphian says:

you were really lucky to do this photo. Since days I’m hunting after butterflies and they always fly away…

5. Spectacular and amazing colors! πŸ™‚ Hermosa, el diseΓ±o de sus alas es hermoso parece una tela estampada!

6. I fell in the brambles photographing the Large Blue at Collard Hill. I’m rather expert at it now. Falling in that is.

7. Reinhardt says:

Great shot! Well done!

8. Inga says:

Fantastic capture. It’s beautiful! Well done with all the effort πŸ™‚

9. zannyro says:

LOL! Glad you survived your fall…and image is wonderful…such a beautiful butterfly.

10. Cathy Testa says:

Reblogged this on Container Crazy Cathy T and commented:
    Very cool. Cathy T.

11. annemarie1124 says:

Beautiful shot!

12. mike585 says:

Thank you, Annemarie.

13. Reblogged this on lepidopteralovers and commented:
    The photo of this Peacock Butterfly is amazing! I love it! Thank you for posting it. πŸ™‚