Bee Nest.

16th September 2012: I came across this bee nest whilst poking about under a hawthorn tree this morning.

20120916-163748.jpg

This entry was posted in Wilden Marsh Nature Reserve and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to Bee Nest.

1. Lisa says:

Oh gross that’s scary!!! Yikes!! Pretty pic of them though!!!

2. James Corner says:

Wow, I would love to see something like that. Awesome!

3. caleephotography says:

WOW. Impressive! Good capture!!

4. Felix Attard says:

Its a very nice capture. Keep posting Mike! 🙂

5. That’s an incredible sight! I’d be terrified but fascinated.

6. Mark Birks says:

Having a phobia of bee’s isn’t helping me not to get the willies but it’s still a nice shot. Hope you didn’t get stung!.

Honey bees are gentle creatures, Mark. They just get on with what they have to do and are not generally concerned about people. I spend a lot of time macro photographing bees when they are collecting nectar, and have never been stung. These bees are very busy building their nest before the winter sets in. Unfortunately, they are not buildiing it Iin a good place. I have a feeling the catle will knock the nest down when they are allowed to graze the area.

7. WOW! That’s quite scary but really beautiful. Weren’t you scared?

8. Phil Lanoue says:

Yikes! Very cool photo. 🙂

9. Pingback: one lovely blog award | Garden Windows

10. Sue says:

Very cool photo, Mike. Is that a swarm with a new queen?

11. sheriffsmith says:

That is an amazing group of Bee’s. I love the symetry of the hive . Great picture! Tom

12. GaiaBird says:

Incredible!

13. Victoria says:

Interesting photo – don’t think I’ve seen a photo of a beehive before. I love the symetry also.
    Good sign of a healthy environment.

14. A great find and a great photo too. I’ve not seen a wild hive before.

15. FeyGirl says:

Such a stunning shot! It’s quite lovely. I’ve never actually seen such a hive in the wild… Lucky! (?)

16. Inga says:

Wow! That’s amazing.

17. jsklinger says:

Seeing an image such as this gives an understanding to the term: Busy as a bee!

Great capture Mike. Keep ’em coming.

18. Marie-Anne says:

Thanks for sharing such a nice photo! I’m currently writing an interview for the Magazine OuiShare (magazine.ouishare.net) on organizational biomimicry and how we could be inspired by hives. I think your photo would be a beautiful illustration of the article. Would you like it if I used it? Of course, I would mention your name and website.

19. Cate says:

I’ve never been privileged to see such a thing. Thanks for making it possible, at least vicariously; this is a beautiful image that shows your appreciation. Bees are amazing little creatures — as you say, gentle, and also industrious. I’m always glad to see them in my yard. Like most animals, they’ll leave us alone unless we threaten them.

When I first spotted this nest from a distance, Cate, I thought it was a pheasant roosting in a hawthorn bush. It was only when I was very close – a couple of feet away – that I realised what it was. I arranged for a beekeeper to rehouse the beed in a hive a few miles away. It was inlikely that they would have survived a winter in the hawthorn bush.

20. I love this blog. When I visit my WordPress Reader, one of the things I most look forward to is the exquisite photographs of all the Marsh’s natural abundance. Thank you!

21. Thank you for visiting my blog and for liking one of my posts. Blessings, Natalie 🙂