Vixen out for dinner.

27th March 2012: I was on the marsh at 05:30 this evening, and this was my first fox stalking evening of this year. It was a beautifully sunny evening, too. I was in my full foxing kit: camouflage netting over my head, held in place with my wallaby hat; light green shirt of many pockets; light brown trouser; grey boots that the foxes think are rabbits; and netting gloves to stop my hands signalling like rabbit tails. Even my camera and lens were dressed in camouflage netting.

If this vixen hasn’t got a den full of cubs near by, I’ll eat my wallaby hat!

On the lagoon side of North Pond, big beefy rabbits were grazing and frolicking on Poncey’s parade ground, flashing their white backed tails for all to see. Preening their feathers on the grassy bank just below the rabbits, were three mallards. One or both of the marsh foxes couldn’t miss those large flashing rabbit tails, and the mallards seemed to be asking for a visit. It was the flashing rabbit tails that attracted my attention in the first place.

I stood very still and made like I was a bush, and waited. Within five minutes, I saw the vixen’s red coat in the grass. The rabbits scattered, and fox wandered towards the pond and the mallards. She just had to have a go, but it was no more than a  half-hearted lunge; I think she just wanted to frighten them.

The vixen wandered about in the long grass for a while and appeared totally unaware that I was there, which is how it should be. Her ears twitched each time I pressed the shutter button, though, and once or twice she glanced in my direction. If she had sensed my presence, she would have bolted.

This entry was posted in Foxes and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Vixen out for dinner.

1. avian101 says:

You’ve done a great photo work, considering that foxes are very astute and know how to evade any contact with humans. I have never seen one in the wild.
    🙂 Thans for sharing!

2. RichardB1001 says:

I just love fox pictures and yours are really great. Are you familiar with a fox site called foxbox.org? It is UK based and has a wealth of information on foxes.

3. sheriffsmith says:

Love the Fox shots … just hope she manages to catch something or you might just have to feed her your hat!!! Thanks for the smiles! Tom

Thanks, Tom.

There are plenty of easy meals on the marsh for the fox at the moment.

Most of the animals are chasing each other around in pairs and they might not be paying enough attention to what is happening around them: good news for the fox.

My wallaby hat is pretty tuff.

4. Love the photos, and great commentary—thanks for taking us there!

5. That first photo of the vixen makes her look like she is producing milk, so there must be a den of cubs nearby. Good thing for your wallaby hat since it has no way to escape you, predator that you are. 🙂

I don’t really stalk foxes with a wallaby sitting on my head, Dezra. I have a conventonal hat that’s made from wallaby skin. Walking about with a wallaby on my head would be very silly. In fact, it is highly likely that a person could be locked-up for some considerable time, if caught walking around with a wallaby on their head. No, I wouldn’t want people to think that I would do such a thing.

I think that wearing a hat made from wallaby skin is quite acceptable, these days. Some would consider it a fasion statement – I don’t, it is just a very functional hat. 😉

• Well, darn it! I was getting used to the idea of one day wearing a wallaby on my head when that fashion statement jumped the pond. I guess I’ll have to consider a peacock on my head or perhaps an ostrich…a pink ostrich. Do you have a pink ostrich hat? What’s it like? 🙂

What! A pink ostrich hat? Not Me! That would be a lady’s hat, that would. 🙂

6. dadirri7 says:

beautiful photos, love your description of the fox stalking outfit, it is all worth it to capture such wild loveliness 🙂

7. Pingback: Lagoon Birds | dadirridreaming